Friday, March 16, 2012

"Snow White and the Huntsman" Featurettes

 Three brand new featurettes to get the buzz going for Snow White and the Huntsman. They're largely hosted by Charlize Theron (who plays Ravenna, the Evil Queen) but other cast members chime in too.

First up is "Setting the Stage" and discusses the approach to the visuals and the use of imagery. I like the idea that the Queen symbolizes death (more on this in the costume featurette) while Snow White is the "beating heart of life".
Next is "Reflecting on Charlize Theron's Evil Queen". I'm sure we'll hear more about the challenges Ms. Theron had in playing her when the movie is released and there's no chance of ruining the 'big' spoilers. (I love the slide into the sewer. I wonder how much rehearsal that took and how big a bruise that caused!)
Wow - the costume featurette is just amazing and is easily my favorite of the three.  The idea that The Evil's Queen's various costumes reflect death, including the wedding dress at the beginning of the movie, is fantastic. There's been so much talk of Mirror Mirror's very stylistic costumes that Colleen Atwood's work hasn't really had a spotlight until now. Based on this I'm tempted to go just to see the details of Ravenna's wardrobe. We do get to hear more about how Snow White as a character is approached and her basic arc from how the progression of her wardrobe is described. At the moment, I'm far more interested in thee Evil Queen's story which seems to me to be far more layered.
"Lips red as blood, hair black as night. Bring me your heart, my dear, dear Snow White."
 Finally here's a "sneak peek" at the coming trailer. I can't help but be reminded of Legend and The Neverending Story at various points, not in a bad way mind you (although... please don't let the horse die, please-don't-let-the-horse-die, pleasedon'tletthehorsedie!). It reminds me the director was probably influenced when he was younger by the same movies and images I was.
The costume featurette settles it though. I'm definitely going to need the "Making Of" book of this movie and I might even attempt to see it in a theater.

 In case you've lost track with all the fairy tale news going on at the moment Snow White and the Huntsman is set to open on June 1st.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely plan on seeing this one in theaters. Thanks for the behind the scenes vids. Love the costume one.

    ReplyDelete