Sunday, August 23, 2015

Ask Baba Yaga: How Do I Break Out Of My Hermit Shell?

Baba Yaga's Hut by Alyssa Davis

Confession: I kind of like being a hermit. Mostly. Once I gave in to the fact that my nature is to be generally drained by people, even those I truly love, and even when I've had a great time with them, I grew to greatly appreciate my alone time and revel in the space to think, research, write and create. But I can't be a hermit all the time and there are sometimes I find it frustrating too. I love working in theater and that necessitates an outgoing personality, at least some of the time, so it can be tricky to find that balance of building up enough energy to throw myself into performing or teaching, and make sure I have adequate re-energizing time afterward. There are those times, too, especially when things get rough, that you can be gone from normal social circles so long, it feels really difficult to re-enter. I almost didn't want to read the answer to this question, my shell is precious to me!, but was encouraged and relieved by what Baba Yaga had to say.

Here's today's question and answer (via poet and oracle Taisia Kitaiskaia* of The Hairpin):
(Originally posted at The Hairpin HERE)

"...nibble on a green thing"! Ha - yes! And the picture of Baba Yaga's hut that I fortuitously chose for this post, before looking at the question, is perfect. That's exactly what it feels like when you perform, or teaching goes really well or people become inspired to create or do better in being with you! And it's a huge relief to know you don't have to go and do that performance the whole time either. (Notice there is no audience above to watch either - it's a private-revelry thing.) No breaking! But I can bend a little. :)

What do you think of Baba Yaga's advice?

Want to ask Baba Yaga a question of your own?
You can!
There's now an email address where you can send your questions
directly to Baba Yaga herself.
AskBabaYaga AT gmail DOT com
To encourage Baba Yaga to continue imparting her no-bones-about-it wisdom (ok, there may be some gristle in there... bones too), I suggest we not to leave her box empty... 

Thank you Baba Yaga (& Taisia).


Taisia Kitaiskaia is a poet, writer, and Michener Center for Writers fellow. Born in Russia and raised in America, she's had her poems and translations published in Narrative Magazine, Poetry International, and others.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! As an introvert I struggle with this too; what a relief to not be told to 'get over it' and force those interactions. I will work on finding more "green things." :)

    ReplyDelete