Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What's Happened To "Hoodwinked Too!"?

If you didn't see Hoodwinked when it came to theaters in 2005, do yourself a favor and have a little movie night. Despite the cheap look (especially now we've gotten used to the Pixar films) the story is wonderful, funny and surprisingly tight and entertaining. It did far better at the box office than anyone expected, especially once word-of-mouth got around that this was worth a looksee. I even know people who have added it to their favorite kids movies list who don't normally go for fairy tales. The news that a sequel was in the works was good news but there's been a hitch...
You may not have noticed, unless you were eagerly anticipating the release of this movie in mid-January, but not only has Hoodwinked Too: Hood vs Evil not hit theaters yet, it's quietly disappeared from release schedules in theaters. In fact it seems that even the creator himself, Cory Edwards, has no idea when it will now be coming out (according to his personal blog).


BUT that hasn't stopped Burger King from releasing the Hoodwinked Too toys on the original schedule. I was alerted to the toys via a TV ad but a visit to the website didn't have nay information. I took the plunge and walked into a Burger King last week (first time ever!) and sure enough, there were the toys on display and we got one in the kid's meal.Turns out it was the best one (the others are rather 'plas-tacky' - see images in this post) so our timing was excellent and I highly recommend grabbing one while they're out. It's a little plastic gingerbread house that you open and inside is a double-sided soft toy of Hansel and Gretel. Double-sided play toys! (My just-3 yr old loves it by the way). As I haven't been able to find any photos of the product online, I've taken & uploaded photos of our prize so you can look out for it.

In the meantime, with the movie being delayed till who-knows-when, those toys aren't likely to be at BK's very long.
If I hear an update on the movie's release I'll be sure to let you know. Whatever the holdup is (speculation is it's the parent company & money, rather than anything to do with the movie's production, so even if it doesn't come to theaters - which would be a real shame) it should be available on DVD sometime in the future.

Sources: Cartoon Brew & Cory's Curiosities

5 comments:

  1. I love Hoodwinked! It is one of my favorite recent (very generous definition of "recent") releases. I had no idea that there was a sequel planned. Now I know to watch both theaters and DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Hoodwinked! I am so mad that it didn't come out when it was supposed to! I feel like I need to strangle the person who caused that. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. crazy about hoodwinked...seriously waiting for the next movie. really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exelente post,soy de México,tardaron 4 años en estrenarla aqui...

    ReplyDelete