Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fairy Tale Felted Wool Art by AndreasFelts

LITTLE RED CAP
(In this scene, the girl more commonly knows as Little Red Riding Hood is on her way to visit grandmother.)

I found these and had to share.

The work is so gorgeous and unique, not only do I want a complete notecard set but I'd love to see these in person. What's more, the artist, Andrea, obviously reads the old tales rather than relying on newer childrens versions, as you'll see from her descriptions of the pieces.

CINDERELLA
(In this scene, Cinderella kneels at her mother’s grave under the hazel tree and receives her dress for the ball. )

Here's what the artist says about her work:
I am a watercolorist turned felter. Using a felting needle, I "paint” scenes with fiber. Each work begins as a sketch and is felted by hand, using no machine, pattern or mold.
I sincerely urge you to go to her shop HERE for the close-ups views, as well as to see all her work. It's just stunning and completely reminiscent (for me) of impressionist pastel work.

FROG PRINCE
(In this scene, the princess bargains with the frog over the return of her lovely golden ball.)

HANSEL & GRETAL
(In this scene, the brother and sister are alone in the woods collecting small stones in their hopes of being able to find their way back home.)

LITTLE MERMAID
(In this scene, the little mermaid gazes up at the ocean’s surface in contemplation of trading her mermaid’s tale for human form.)

There's information about her techniques under the 'shop policies' section of her Etsy shop, which is very interesting too.

Just stunning work. I'd love to see a whole story book illustrated this way.

You can find her work in her Etsy shop HERE.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my stars and starlings! These are unbelievable! ::runs off to practice felting::

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, these are beautiful. thanks 4 posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never even heard of this form of art before, but these are stunning! Off to view this store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Andrea Brewer and I want to thank you for this wonderful posting about my fiber landscapes! I received a link to this blog post today and I am overwhelmed! It is truly splendid to read such nice comments about my fairy tale panels. I was having "one of those days," but after this I consider it a great day! :) These panels are part of a fairytale series of works I made about two years ago in anticipation of a custom project for a private elementary school. I absolutely love fairytales and enjoyed every minute I worked on them. Thank you again for your kindness and interest in my art work.
    Andrea~
    HazelTreeFibers.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely, I am a water colorist turned needle felter as well, it is additive, cheers from New Zealand, Marie

    ReplyDelete