Here's what we know so far:
- The movie is being handled by Universal and Stephen Daldry is directing. (Daldry is currently well into season two on the much anticipated Netflix series The Crown, though the first season has yet to air).
- Wicked (the movie) has been officially scheduled for release on December 20, 2019.
- That's the same release date as a yet-to-be-revealed Disney live action fairy tale movie.
- Marc Platt is producing (he's also producing the Broadway version of the show, as well as a number of Disney movies, including the just announced live action remake of Snow White).
- Winnie Holzman, who wrote the original adaptation of Gregory Maguire's novel for Broadway, is handling the screenplay, and will also be working with the musical's original composer and lyricist Stephen Schwartz.
- There will be four new songs in the movie, in addition to the Broadway favorites, such as Defying Gravity.
- No casting has yet been announced or hinted at.
From the Newsweek exclusive, this past weekend:
Daldry says he is scheduled to film the movie in 2018 but there has been no talk as yet about who will play the film’s leads, the unlikely friends Glinda the Good Witch and Elphaba. “We haven’t done casting yet... but it’ll be great,” the director promises.What do you think? Are you excited for Wicked the movie? Or will you wait to see the casting before deciding?