Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fairy Tale Art by Julie Dillon

Frog Prince

The piece above, Frog Prince by Julie Dillon, is one I've been meaning to post for quite some time now. Apart from being an amazing illustration, it's one of the few in which the actual transformation from frog to man is shown. Plus I ADORE transformation stories and am fascinated by what someone might see if a transformation from beast to man (or man to beast) happened right in front of them.
Treasure From the Deep - not specifically a fairy tale piece but I can think of a few tales this reminds me of
Since Ms. Dillon is also featured on the tor.com website today (with an illustration for a short science fiction story, Uncle Flower's Homecoming Waltz) I thought I'd showcase some of her fairy tale work here too.

Snow, Glass, Apples (Interior) for Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's booklet/perfume set with Neil Gaiman's short story. There is a very dark cover HERE as well.
Reassurance - again, not specifically a fairy tale piece but there are a few tales it would work with, including Beauty & the Beast

She has quite a few Alice pieces, both from Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I love the lion and unicorn one.
The Lion and the Unicorn
Alice
Alice and the Queen of Hearts

As you can see, her style lends itself beautifully to both fantasy and science fiction. Her work pops up everywhere, from magazines to covers and more and I think we're only going to see more from this talented artist. 

Surface - not specifically a fairy tale piece but it instantly made me think of The Marsh King's Daughter

Ms. Dillon has a large gallery on deviantArt HERE and her personal website is HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment