Thursday, December 24, 2009

Stories for the Season: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardobe

I know this isn't exactly classed as a fairy tale but the Narnia tales and creatures blended completely with the many fairy tales I read as a child, as I know they did many others, so I feel I can mention C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories here (Yes, I was one of those kids who excitedly- and a little tentatively -checked the back of each new wardrobe I was brave enough to open.)The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is completely centered on Christmas: when Lucy enters Narnia and meets Mr. Tumnus the faun for the first time, he's sneaking around with packages when he really shouldn't be, according to the White Witch's commands (Snow Queen anyone? Complete with sleigh and nasty dwarf). The White Witch has taken over Narnia, plunging the land into a perpetual Winter - without Christmas! The appearance of Santa later in the story is key to showing the tide is turning for good (and he gives awesome presents so the kids can help kick the White Witch's butt!). We're finally able to see Christmas celebrated, hope revive and the season begin to turn to Spring.The recent film from 2005 was/is stunning and makes for uplifting viewing during a holiday season. The book stands alone though and the movie shouldn't take the place of reading the movie - do both!

I found this amazing promotion for a Christmas party after the release - I'll leave you to read it, to see what I mean. (Click to enlarge.)How could you NOT have a good time at such an event?

By the way, Christian Birmingham illustrated a version of the book and is a must-see. As much as I love the movie, I prefer the old illustrations to read with, however this book is an exception to the rule. The link is HERE (I haven't seen this version with the black and white cover, which is lovely. The version linked to is the colored one I've seen in stores.)

No comments:

Post a Comment